about porting gcc to a new platform

Dear Sir,

I am going to port gcc to a new platform - it's fake 16-bit architecture
in a textbook. There is a free downloadable assembler and simulator. Can
you tell me what is the easiest way to do this? What is the documemts I
need to read except the gcc manual - section 17 - 21 ?

My question is : to do the --target=machine-local porting, how many files
I need to create in the config/machine directory? What are they? Any
documentation explained their usage? I can read something in INSTALL that
we need what kind of stuff, but any other formal documents?

Or any mailing list, website ...

Thanks

Ziang Hu,
Postdoc Research Associates,