lbasname (branch)

Hi DJ,

Would you support the lbasename changes going into the branch?  I'd like
to put my recent series of CPP file handling fixes into branch, since
whereas individually they may not be worth it, as a group I think
they are.

lbasename has survived almost 2 weeks now, and my file handling fixes
haven't produced any complaints either.  I'd probably wait until the
weekend before doing it anyway.

Would that be OK?

Neil.