RE: i386 backend

<<I am not sure I understand what you mean. I have a pretty deep insight in
where my programs "hotspots" are. I have compiled it with many different
compilers, profiled it with different profilers etc. But how can I tell
where the problem with gcc is from that, when I know nothing about the
internals of a compiler?
The biggest "hotspot" in my program is an evaluation function which uses
appx. 30% of the time, according to profilers. This evaluation function is
mainly integer arithmetics and array lookups, in a very complex way. We're
talking appx. 2000 lines of code for one function that eventually just
returns an int.

We need the sample code!

We don't want you to "tell where the problem with gcc is from that" [in
terms of the internals]. We just need a sample source that shows the problem
[in terms of poor generated code]/

In other words the useful contribution is something like

here is a program that I compiled with -O3 -funroll-loops and it
still ran 30% slower.

(and if possible, add)

The reason seems like it may be the five instructions in a row in the inner
loop that all load the constant 1 into EAX

:-)