Re: Extending xm_defines syntax to get rid of more xm-files

Robert Dewar writes:

> There is no such thing as a "fair use threshold". That is a legal fiction.
> There is a principle of de minimums, but that involves importance
> as well as length. It is very easy for a single line of code to be
> critical and fully protectable (there are court cases that have hinged on
> VERY small sections of code).

Yes, in theory  What about practice?

Since there has never been a court case, what matters here is what the FSF
is willing to accept and defend.  For those purposes, a rather fuzzy
limit, on the order of 10 simple lines, would, according to RMS, meet the
cut.  However, an extremely clever 7-line program to decode CSS-encoded
DVDs would not.  If we can't resolve the argument, we let RMS decide it,
since he will have to defend the FSF in court if needed.