Re: RFC: makefile cleanups wrt unified tree

On Mar  9, 2001, "Laurynas Biveinis" <lauras@softhome.net> wrote:

> To cleanup gcc/Makefile a bit, I've written a couple of autoconf
> macros to detect tools not only in path, but in the unified source
> tree too. Currently I use them to set all *_FOR_TARGET variables in
> gcc/Makefile, however I think they could help to autoconfiscate top
> level directory in the long run.

Unless the top-level uses the very same strategy, it's a bit risky to
change the GCC Makefile, because these make variables are overridden
by the top-level Makefile, so it would be bad to have configure detect
certain properties of one program, and the top-level Makefile telling
gcc/Makefile to use a different program.

Other than that, I like your patch.