Re: Stan Shebs, new Objective-C maintainer

Michael writes to Stan Shebs:
> Congratulations.
>
> Does that mean, I can contact you when I have some problems concerning
> Objective-C?

The maintainer's job is not to provide individual support to the whole
net, so we wouldn't want to encourage people to mail their questions to an
individual maintainer directly.  People sending private mail to
maintainers demanding schedules or attention to their specific bugs is
particularly harmful; it just makes people really sorry that they ever
volunteered.

(There seems to be a sub-population of lower life forms that have been
sending Mark Mitchell lots of private mail lately demanding that gcc 3.0
be released yesterday or attacking him personally for the quality of the
snapshots or demanding an instant fix for some gcc bug.  Folks, we can't
afford to lose another release manager).

So, don't send private mail to Stan asking him to do something for you.
Feel free to send private mail if you're offering to do something for him.

Bugs in GNU Objective-C should go to gcc-bugs; other issues
specific to the GNU implementation can go here; questions about the
language itself should go elsewhere (sorry, I don't recall the name
of the Usenet Objective-C group).

Joe