Re: embedded assembly code in c program

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:17:13PM +0800, warmice wrote:
> hello, everyone:
>
>     Would someone tell me that how GCC supports embedded assembly code in C
> ? How is it be implemented? Where can I find relevant information about it ?
>
>     Many thanks!!

Did you look in the GCC manual?  It is under the chapter entitled "Extended
Asm" which is under "C Extensions"

File: gcc.info,  Node: Extended Asm,  Next: Asm Labels,  Prev: Inline,  Up: C
Extensions

Assembler Instructions with C Expression Operands

   In an assembler instruction using `asm', you can specify the
operands of the instruction using C expressions.  This means you need
not guess which registers or memory locations will contain the data you
want to use.

   You must specify an assembler instruction template much like what
appears in a machine description, plus an operand constraint string for
each operand.

   For example, here is how to use the 68881's `fsinx' instruction:

     asm ("fsinx %1,%0" : "=f" (result) : "f" (angle));

Here `angle' is the C expression for the input operand while `result'
is that of the output operand.  Each has `"f"' as its operand
constraint, saying that a floating point register is required.  The `='
in `=f' indicates that the operand is an output; all output operands'
constraints must use `='.  The constraints use the same language used
in the machine description (*note Constraints::.).

   Each operand is described by an operand-constraint string followed by
the C expression in parentheses.  A colon separates the assembler
template from the first output operand and another separates the last
output operand from the first input, if any.  Commas separate the
operands within each group.  The total number of operands is limited to
ten or to the maximum number of operands in any instruction pattern in
the machine description, whichever is greater.

   If there are no output operands but there are input operands, you
must place two consecutive colons surrounding the place where the output
operands would go.

   Output operand expressions must be lvalues; the compiler can check

   Output operand expressions must be lvalues; the compiler can check
this.  The input operands need not be lvalues.  The compiler cannot
check whether the operands have data types that are reasonable for the
instruction being executed.  It does not parse the assembler instruction
template and does not know what it means or even whether it is valid
assembler input.  The extended `asm' feature is most often used for
machine instructions the compiler itself does not know exist.  If the
output expression cannot be directly addressed (for example, it is a
bit field), your constraint must allow a register.  In that case, GNU CC
will use the register as the output of the `asm', and then store that
register into the output.

   The ordinary output operands must be write-only; GNU CC will assume
that the values in these operands before the instruction are dead and
need not be generated.  Extended asm supports input-output or read-write
operands.  Use the constraint character `+' to indicate such an operand
and list it with the output operands.

   When the constraints for the read-write operand (or the operand in
which only some of the bits are to be changed) allows a register, you
may, as an alternative, logically split its function into two separate
operands, one input operand and one write-only output operand.  The
connection between them is expressed by constraints which say they need
to be in the same location when the instruction executes.  You can use
the same C expression for both operands, or different expressions.  For
example, here we write the (fictitious) `combine' instruction with
`bar' as its read-only source operand and `foo' as its read-write
destination:

     asm ("combine %2,%0" : "=r" (foo) : "0" (foo), "g" (bar));

The constraint `"0"' for operand 1 says that it must occupy the same
location as operand 0.  A digit in constraint is allowed only in an
input operand and it must refer to an output operand.

   Only a digit in the constraint can guarantee that one operand will
be in the same place as another.  The mere fact that `foo' is the value
   Only a digit in the constraint can guarantee that one operand will
be in the same place as another.  The mere fact that `foo' is the value
of both operands is not enough to guarantee that they will be in the
same place in the generated assembler code.  The following would not
work reliably:

     asm ("combine %2,%0" : "=r" (foo) : "r" (foo), "g" (bar));

   Various optimizations or reloading could cause operands 0 and 1 to
be in different registers; GNU CC knows no reason not to do so.  For
example, the compiler might find a copy of the value of `foo' in one
register and use it for operand 1, but generate the output operand 0 in
a different register (copying it afterward to `foo''s own address).  Of
course, since the register for operand 1 is not even mentioned in the
assembler code, the result will not work, but GNU CC can't tell that.

   Some instructions clobber specific hard registers.  To describe this,
write a third colon after the input operands, followed by the names of
the clobbered hard registers (given as strings).  Here is a realistic
example for the VAX:

     asm volatile ("movc3 %0,%1,%2"
                   : /* no outputs */
                   : "g" (from), "g" (to), "g" (count)
                   : "r0", "r1", "r2", "r3", "r4", "r5");

   You may not write a clobber description in a way that overlaps with
an input or output operand.  For example, you may not have an operand
describing a register class with one member if you mention that register
in the clobber list.  There is no way for you to specify that an input
operand is modified without also specifying it as an output operand.
Note that if all the output operands you specify are for this purpose
(and hence unused), you will then also need to specify `volatile' for
the `asm' construct, as described below, to prevent GNU CC from
deleting the `asm' statement as unused.

   If you refer to a particular hardware register from the assembler
code, you will probably have to list the register after the third colon
   If you refer to a particular hardware register from the assembler
code, you will probably have to list the register after the third colon
to tell the compiler the register's value is modified.  In some
assemblers, the register names begin with `%'; to produce one `%' in the
assembler code, you must write `%%' in the input.

   If your assembler instruction can alter the condition code register,
add `cc' to the list of clobbered registers.  GNU CC on some machines
represents the condition codes as a specific hardware register; `cc'
serves to name this register.  On other machines, the condition code is
handled differently, and specifying `cc' has no effect.  But it is
valid no matter what the machine.

   If your assembler instruction modifies memory in an unpredictable
fashion, add `memory' to the list of clobbered registers.  This will
cause GNU CC to not keep memory values cached in registers across the
assembler instruction.  You will also want to add the `volatile'
keyword if the memory affected is not listed in the inputs or outputs
of the `asm', as the `memory' clobber does not count as a side-effect
of the `asm'.

   You can put multiple assembler instructions together in a single
`asm' template, separated either with newlines (written as `\n') or
with semicolons if the assembler allows such semicolons.  The GNU
assembler allows semicolons and most Unix assemblers seem to do so.
The input operands are guaranteed not to use any of the clobbered
registers, and neither will the output operands' addresses, so you can
read and write the clobbered registers as many times as you like.  Here
is an example of multiple instructions in a template; it assumes the
subroutine `_foo' accepts arguments in registers 9 and 10:

     asm ("movl %0,r9;movl %1,r10;call _foo"
          : /* no outputs */
          : "g" (from), "g" (to)
          : "r9", "r10");

   Unless an output operand has the `&' constraint modifier, GNU CC may
allocate it in the same register as an unrelated input operand, on the
   Unless an output operand has the `&' constraint modifier, GNU CC may
allocate it in the same register as an unrelated input operand, on the
assumption the inputs are consumed before the outputs are produced.
This assumption may be false if the assembler code actually consists of
more than one instruction.  In such a case, use `&' for each output
operand that may not overlap an input.  *Note Modifiers::.

   If you want to test the condition code produced by an assembler
instruction, you must include a branch and a label in the `asm'
construct, as follows:

     asm ("clr %0;frob %1;beq 0f;mov #1,%0;0:"
          : "g" (result)
          : "g" (input));

This assumes your assembler supports local labels, as the GNU assembler
and most Unix assemblers do.

   Speaking of labels, jumps from one `asm' to another are not
supported.  The compiler's optimizers do not know about these jumps, and
therefore they cannot take account of them when deciding how to
optimize.

   Usually the most convenient way to use these `asm' instructions is to
encapsulate them in macros that look like functions.  For example,

     #define sin(x)       \
     ({ double __value, __arg = (x);   \
        asm ("fsinx %1,%0": "=f" (__value): "f" (__arg));  \
        __value; })

Here the variable `__arg' is used to make sure that the instruction
operates on a proper `double' value, and to accept only those arguments
`x' which can convert automatically to a `double'.

   Another way to make sure the instruction operates on the correct data
type is to use a cast in the `asm'.  This is different from using a
variable `__arg' in that it converts more different types.  For
type is to use a cast in the `asm'.  This is different from using a
variable `__arg' in that it converts more different types.  For
example, if the desired type were `int', casting the argument to `int'
would accept a pointer with no complaint, while assigning the argument
to an `int' variable named `__arg' would warn about using a pointer
unless the caller explicitly casts it.

   If an `asm' has output operands, GNU CC assumes for optimization
purposes the instruction has no side effects except to change the output
operands.  This does not mean instructions with a side effect cannot be
used, but you must be careful, because the compiler may eliminate them
if the output operands aren't used, or move them out of loops, or
replace two with one if they constitute a common subexpression.  Also,
if your instruction does have a side effect on a variable that otherwise
appears not to change, the old value of the variable may be reused later
if it happens to be found in a register.

   You can prevent an `asm' instruction from being deleted, moved
significantly, or combined, by writing the keyword `volatile' after the
`asm'.  For example:

     #define get_and_set_priority(new)  \
     ({ int __old; \
        asm volatile ("get_and_set_priority %0, %1": "=g" (__old) : "g" (new));\
        __old; })

If you write an `asm' instruction with no outputs, GNU CC will know the
instruction has side-effects and will not delete the instruction or
move it outside of loops.  If the side-effects of your instruction are
not purely external, but will affect variables in your program in ways
other than reading the inputs and clobbering the specified registers or
memory, you should write the `volatile' keyword to prevent future
versions of GNU CC from moving the instruction around within a core
region.

   An `asm' instruction without any operands or clobbers (and "old
style" `asm') will not be deleted or moved significantly, regardless,
unless it is unreachable, the same wasy as if you had written a
style" `asm') will not be deleted or moved significantly, regardless,
unless it is unreachable, the same wasy as if you had written a
`volatile' keyword.

   Note that even a volatile `asm' instruction can be moved in ways
that appear insignificant to the compiler, such as across jump
instructions.  You can't expect a sequence of volatile `asm'
instructions to remain perfectly consecutive.  If you want consecutive
output, use a single `asm'.

   It is a natural idea to look for a way to give access to the
condition code left by the assembler instruction.  However, when we
attempted to implement this, we found no way to make it work reliably.
The problem is that output operands might need reloading, which would
result in additional following "store" instructions.  On most machines,
these instructions would alter the condition code before there was time
to test it.  This problem doesn't arise for ordinary "test" and
"compare" instructions because they don't have any output operands.

   For reasons similar to those described above, it is not possible to
give an assembler instruction access to the condition code left by

   If you are writing a header file that should be includable in ANSI C
programs, write `__asm__' instead of `asm'.  *Note Alternate Keywords::.

i386 floating point asm operands
--------------------------------

   There are several rules on the usage of stack-like regs in
asm_operands insns.  These rules apply only to the operands that are
stack-like regs:

  1. Given a set of input regs that die in an asm_operands, it is
     necessary to know which are implicitly popped by the asm, and
     which must be explicitly popped by gcc.

     An input reg that is implicitly popped by the asm must be

     An input reg that is implicitly popped by the asm must be
     explicitly clobbered, unless it is constrained to match an output
     operand.

  2. For any input reg that is implicitly popped by an asm, it is
     necessary to know how to adjust the stack to compensate for the
     pop.  If any non-popped input is closer to the top of the
     reg-stack than the implicitly popped reg, it would not be possible
     to know what the stack looked like -- it's not clear how the rest
     of the stack "slides up".

     All implicitly popped input regs must be closer to the top of the
     reg-stack than any input that is not implicitly popped.

     It is possible that if an input dies in an insn, reload might use
     the input reg for an output reload.  Consider this example:

          asm ("foo" : "=t" (a) : "f" (b));

     This asm says that input B is not popped by the asm, and that the
     asm pushes a result onto the reg-stack, ie, the stack is one
     deeper after the asm than it was before.  But, it is possible that
     reload will think that it can use the same reg for both the input
     and the output, if input B dies in this insn.

     If any input operand uses the `f' constraint, all output reg
     constraints must use the `&' earlyclobber.

     The asm above would be written as

          asm ("foo" : "=&t" (a) : "f" (b));

  3. Some operands need to be in particular places on the stack.  All
     output operands fall in this category -- there is no other way to
     know which regs the outputs appear in unless the user indicates
     this in the constraints.

     this in the constraints.

     Output operands must specifically indicate which reg an output
     appears in after an asm.  `=f' is not allowed: the operand
     constraints must select a class with a single reg.

  4. Output operands may not be "inserted" between existing stack regs.
     Since no 387 opcode uses a read/write operand, all output operands
     are dead before the asm_operands, and are pushed by the
     asm_operands.  It makes no sense to push anywhere but the top of
     the reg-stack.

     Output operands must start at the top of the reg-stack: output
     operands may not "skip" a reg.

  5. Some asm statements may need extra stack space for internal
     calculations.  This can be guaranteed by clobbering stack registers
     unrelated to the inputs and outputs.

   Here are a couple of reasonable asms to want to write.  This asm
takes one input, which is internally popped, and produces two outputs.

     asm ("fsincos" : "=t" (cos), "=u" (sin) : "0" (inp));

   This asm takes two inputs, which are popped by the `fyl2xp1' opcode,
and replaces them with one output.  The user must code the `st(1)'
clobber for reg-stack.c to know that `fyl2xp1' pops both inputs.

     asm ("fyl2xp1" : "=t" (result) : "0" (x), "u" (y) : "st(1)");

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304