Porting gcc to SimpleScalar

I searched the gcc archives and found a couple of messages from folks
wanting to port gcc to the SimpleScalar/PISA simulator platform.  PISA
(Portable ISA) is a MIPS-derived target.  The latest version of gcc
targeted to PISA is 2.7.2.3.

Is anyone out there working on this, or has some work completed that
others (i.e. me) might be able to make use of?

Assuming I'll have to do some work on this port, where would I go to
get the "basics" of creating a new target?  I looked for docs on the
web site, but can't find anything definitive. Currently I plan to
pretty much just copy the MIPS target over and hack it up from there.
I need to know the gotchas, etc. before I do this.

Once a port is done, how would one go about getting it incorporated
into the official gcc distribution?  It would make life much easier
for the SimpleScalar community.

Thanks!

-Dave

--

"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson