Re: [C++] deprecate overload resolution extension?

Jason Merrill wrote:
> We will be forcing the disambiguation; in the C++ frontend, pedwarns are
> errors by default.  But I would like people to be able to build code that
> relies on this with -fpermissive; again, I put this extension in because
> things were breaking without it (though I don't remember what).
Making it permissive is fine by me, but ...

What is the intended difference between deprecated things and permissive
things?
* deprecated features are warned[1] and that inhibited with -fdeprecated
* permissive features are errored and that can be warned with -fpermissive
* deprecated features will be removed 'in some future release'

Are we also intending to support permissive features forever?

nathan

[1] Given the robust treatment of permissive, I'm mildly surprised that
deprecated is a warning -- in my experience users tend to ignore those.

--
Dr Nathan Sidwell   ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::   CodeSourcery LLC
         'But that's a lie.' - 'Yes it is. What's your point?'