Re: A completely different approach to EH runtime

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 11:44:20PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> > The ld.so in glibc will check GCC_3.0 and GCC_3.1 AFTER libgcc_s.so
> > is loaded, not before.
>
> Mm, but couldn't it notice that it loaded the wrong one, unload it,
> and look for another one?  It's not like we only notice ages later
> when it tries to lazily bind a missing symbol.  It knows the symbols
> are missing as soon as the wrong library is loaded.

I don't know if there is any ELF dynamic linker which does that. I
don't believe this behavior is specified in the ELF specs. In fact,
the ELF specs only mentions the soname. You can certain come up with
a fancy dynamic linker to do that. But we, glibc, only do ELF. Since
we are talking glibc, please limit yourselves to ELF and the GNU
symbol versioning.

Thanks.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@valinux.com)