Re: Building g++ 3.0 under AIX

David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> Geoff> I believe this is actually a GCC bug because 'crnot' is not a POWER
> Geoff> mnemonic and GCC shouldn't be using it when generating POWER
> Geoff> mnemonics.  I keep meaning to fix this but haven't had the time.  GCC
> Geoff> should generate 'crnor' instead when generating POWER.
>
> Geoff> [It would be really good, if you have an AIX 3.x machine, to check
> Geoff> the part after 'I believe'.]
>
> 	AIX 4 assembler accepts the PowerPC simplified mnemonic, even in
> POWER mode.

AIX 4 assembler accepts all powerpc mnemonics, even in POWER mode.
That's why I was interested in AIX 3.

For instance, the following line:

	blr

is not a valid POWER mnemonic (the right mnemonic is 'bl'), but the
AIX assembler accepts it even if you say -mpwr.

> 	As you said, the real question is whether there are any AIX 3
> machines to support any more.

If we're dropping AIX 3 support, we can drop the whole POWER-mnemonic
thing, and move to always generating the PowerPC opcodes.  That'd
be very helpful in eliminating a whole class of bugs.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>