Re: A few SPEC95 results for the new register allocator

Hi,

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Diego Novillo wrote:

> Today, the new register allocator branch successfully passed a
> few SPEC95 tests for the first time. The new allocator produces

Wow.  This is very good, given, that I know quite some things it does
wrong, when it comes to multi-reg pseudos.  (Sometimes also reload likes
to overrule coloring decisions made by reg_alloc, but then forgets some
conflicts, coloring some pseudo the same, although they conflict.  This
is, what prevents a gcc bootstrap with only -g in BOOT_CFLAGS).

> slightly worse SPEC marks except for perl (+4% speedup).

This is even more good (Daniel already explained why).  The spill code
insertion currently is a gross hack to make it work at all, and has a
large potential to get better very much.

Ciao,
Michael.