Re: Shared library annoyance with gcc-3_0-branch

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 09:59:52AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Off-the-wall crazy idea: Would it perhaps be possible to have the library
> in an executable ELF section or something - not really actively linked
> into the binary, but at the same time easily accessible by the run-time
> loader if needed?

There are "fat" file formats in which executables can carry along arbitrary
data; the data can be broken out into separate files if The System decides
to do so.  (I tried doing this myself once.  Note, *once*.  I had almost
purged the memory when you brought this up, thankyouverymuch.)

Doing this in ELF itself would require mucho support from the runtime
loader, which despite our best efforts we still don't control on every
system everywhere.

Phil