Re: Problematic linking between glibc and shared libgcc

Mark Mitchell writes

>     Brad> I then tried it with gcc-2.95.1 and found out that
>     Brad> -static-libgcc is not a valid option for that compiler.  So
>     Brad> people building applications with the new version of gcc
>     Brad> seems to have the option of doing some configurey to see
>     Brad> which version of gcc they're using to see how to get this
>     Brad> right, or tell the use that they better have the directory
>     Brad> containing libgcc.so in their LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Correct.

OK, so let me follow up.  What if I want to build on our Solaris systems an
existing package that currently uses shared libraries (Perl, say, although I don't
know whether it, in particular, uses shared libraries) with gcc-3.0.  The authors
of that package wouldn't know the future requirement of -static-libgcc
when they shipped it, so, short of examining and fixing every makefile of
every package I want to install, or requiring that every person on our
Solaris systems that wants to use Perl, say, has /pkgs/gcc-3.0/lib, or whatever,
in their LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I seem to need to put libgcc_s.so in a
standard place that would normally be found by ld.so.

I'm asking this because I'm the faculty member in charge of our computer
network (and a few specific packages like gcc, binutils, and TeX) and this
seems like it could get tricky.

Brad