Re: SuperH: -m4-nofpu flag

On 15 Feb 2001, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2001, NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@m17n.org> wrote:
>
> > In sh-elf, when -m4-nofpu is specified, __sh3__ (and __SH4_NOFPU__)
> > are defined.  It looks weird for me to define __sh3__ for SH-4.
>
> > Is there any reason why __sh3__ is defined with -m4-nofpu in sh-elf?
>
> Well, the ISA of a FPU-less SH4 is pretty much the same as that of
> SH3.

The way Linux on SuperH uses this flag right now, it doesn't mean we're on
an FPU-less SH4;  it means we're on a standard SH4 but don't want gcc to
generate FPU instructions (we do generate FPU instructions in inline
assembly though).  There are, of course, many kernel-visible ISA
differences between SH4 and SH3 even if you don't take FPU insns into
account.

Wouldn't it make more sense to add something like -mdisable-fpregs and use
-m4 ?

	Philipp Rumpf