Re: GCC 3.0 Bugs: Call for Volunteers

I'm getting the source code later tonight.
I'll help erradicate some of those "bugs"

--- Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> As of now, there are 955 open bugs in the GNATS
> database.  Before GCC
> 3.0, we need to go through these bugs, and examine
> each to determine
> whether or not it needs to be fixed before GCC 3.0.
>
> As discussed earlier, the way we will do this is to
> mark bugs that
> need to be fixed as having "high" priority.  For
> now, a bug should
> have "high" priority if (and only if) it represents
> a regression
> relative to GCC 2.95.[23].
>
> Therefore, we should apply the following algorith to
> each open bug:
>
>   - Check if it is really a bug.  (Did the
> bug-reporter misunderstand
>     the language standard, for example?)
>
>     If not, close it.
>
>   - Check if it is already fixed.
>
>     If so, close it.
>
>   - If it is not fixed, check to see whether or not
> it occurs with
>     GCC 2.95.2.
>
>     If so, and the priority of the bug is presently
> "high" reset it to
>     "medium".  Otherwise, do nothing.
>
>   - Otherwise, the bug is not fixed, and represents
> a regression from
>     GCC 2.95.2.  How embarassing!
>
>     In that case, mark the bug as having "high"
> priority.
>
> This is a largely mechanical task.  Only the first
> step requires
> knowledge of the source language, and for bugs that
> result in compiler
> crashes, even that is unnecessary.
>
> If you have GNATS write access (which is very
> similar to having CVS
> write access), I would very much appreciate it if
> you would volunteer.
> Please send me (privately) the number of bugs that
> you are willing to
> analyze in the next week or so, and I will assign
> you a range of the
> GNATS buglist.  Then, you can process that range.
> If there are bugs
> you are unable to analyze in that range (because,
> for example, they
> involve a machine to which you do not have access,
> or a language which
> you do not know well enough to determine whether a
> bug report is
> valid), please keep a record of those bugs, and when
> you are all done,
> give me that list.
>
> If you do not have GNATS write access, please see:
>
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/gnatswrite.html
>
> If you are interested in helping, it is likely that
> GNATS write access
> will be set up for you.
>
> If you can, please volunteer for at least 50 open
> bugs.  I think that
> with that level of committement, we can quickly get
> a sense of how
> many high-priority bugs are outstanding.  We will
> then fix these bugs,
> simultaneously addressing the compile-time
> performance issues.
>
> Thank you in advance for volunteering!

> [...]
http://www.codesourcery.co

=====
Robert McNulty Junior
Robert McNulty Junior (C) 2000
email: bmcnultyjunior@yahoo.com
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/bmcnultyjunior
AIM:bmcnultyjrsap
Featuring Csound compiled with a Win32/Intel Based Compiler