Re: Projects for beginners

Richard Kenner wrote:
<snip>

> Include files conceptually should be hierarchical.  We have the basic
> things that are needed by everybody (which perhaps could all be included by
> one header file, say gcc.h) and then a bynch of other include files that
> are each only needed by some parts of the compiler.  These would have the
> rule that they could *only* depend on files in the first set.
>
> Doing things this way is far cleaner and shows the structural dependencies
> in a much clearer fashion.

This triggers a pet peeve of  mine.  A short comment, then I will abandon this.

It has somehow become intrinsic in the programming craft to insist that some
task would be done so very much better if the practitioners would just [insert
your favorite holy grail here].  Far too many of these pronouncements include,
in the background, predicting the future.  This is a problem for me because I
cannot do it. I have met no one that will show me how (maybe it'is a Jazz
thing, a la Louis Armstrong?)

When I have whined about my personal predicament, the pontificators have told
me that if I have the talent, and just put in the time, I might eventually
learn the skill, which they then try to demonstrate to me with a practiced "set
piece."

I have the talent.  I have the training.  I have put in the time.  Open
examinations have shown me time and again that nobody else can do it while I am
watching.  (I have noticed that the smarter ones explain that "there just isn't
time" to do it while I watch.)

I refuse to believe it anymore, I won't play the game anymore, and I call it
when I see it.

"The basic things that are needed by everybody" falls in this class of
predicting the future.  Most bright programmers can construct a situation where
the needs of two programmers are difficult or impossible to reconcile with one
header.  If it were relatively simple to decide what is needed, a tool to do it
would already be part of the C language.

Expending rare and irreplaceable volunteer time by chasing header conflicts is
a shameful waste.  Please do not dump the header guards.

As soon as I get done tinkering with hashed switch addressing, I will look at
applying header guards.

'scuzzi for the diatribe.

    Andy