RE: What to do about macppc-unknown-netbsd...

> Last time I synch'ed the GMP config.guess with the FSF version,
> that had a rule:
>
>   macppc) machine=powerpc-apple ;;
>
> So if gcc's config.guess doesn't have that, it is time to update it!

Yes, please.  Of course, researching this issue led me to the following:

User Commands                                            uname(1)
NAME
     uname - print name of current system
OPTIONS
     The following options are supported:
     -m             Print the machine hardware name (class).  Use
                    of  this  option is discouraged; use uname -p
                    instead.  See NOTES section below.
     -p             Print the current  host's  ISA  or  processor
                    type.

the `config.guess' code, of course, uses `uname -m`.
It would seem more straight forward to try to use `uname -p`
straight off, rather than convert the -m output into -p
output, but I also suppose it would also be much like pulling
either a loose thread on a sweater or several teeth.  After
all, `uname -p` wasn't around in 1983... ;-)