Re: Graph coloring for register allocation?

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 05:31:17PM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> Define mistakes.

Spills, invalid combinations of register classes, non-legitimate
constants into memory, anything that isn't otherwise valid.  Mistakes.

> Thinks like forcing things that need to be in hard regs into hard regs,
> making sure certain things have certain registers, combinations of
> these two, etc, are already going to be taken care of for us by the new
> allocator.

You're going to take care of all of the exceedingly nasty bits with
secondary and tertiary reload regs?  With cases for which there are
no valid combination of register classes, and we have to go through
memory, possibly via a third register class first?

I sure hope you're not planning on messing up a nice understandable
register allocation algorithm with this.  All you should be striving
for IMO is "close to correct".

r~