Re: ObjC configured --with-objc-gc needs external Boehm gc

Jeff> I believe the java frontend always maintains base pointers to
Jeff> live objects, not sure about objc.

We do for references on the heap.  For references on the stack we just
hope that the right thing happens.  That is, it might be the case that
you're right due to some side effect of the implementation, but we
certainly didn't plan it that way.  Really fixing this requires GC
safety support from gcc.  There's another thread about this elsewhere.
One thing to note is that even if this is a problem it is likely to be
extremely rare as it requires a peculiar set of circumstances.

Tom