Re: "introduce no new bootstrap warning" criteria. was: Loop iv debugging, patch

Kaveh R Ghazi <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> writes:

> Geoff suggested fixincludes, but it would be a real pain to fix every
> macro that could potentially cause problems.  And some cases are a
> catch-22, e.g. what about UINT_MAX which contains a U suffix?  Using
> UINT_MAX in user code causes -Wtraditional to complain about the U, but
> without the U you get "decimal constant is so large it is unsigned"
> problems.  (Not that I would recommend getting rid of the U, just that
> either way we're hosed.)

Another problem that I ran into recently is the SIG_DFL macro in
<sys/signal.h> on Solaris causing warnings with -Wstrict-prototypes, which
makes it harder to track down missing prototypes in old code that used to
be K&R (and similarly prevents -Werror from being used, which is what I'd
originally intended on doing).  Fixing things like that would require
adding a prototype to a function pointer constant, which doesn't sound
like very much fun.