Re: "introduce no new bootstrap warning" criteria. was: Loop iv debugging, patch

 > From: Geoff Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>
 >
 > > On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Geoff Keating wrote:
 > >
 > > > Perhaps we could only define -Werror on non-strange-broken platforms?
 > > >
 > > > You know, like Linux, Solaris, Cygwin, AIX.  If you do those, you'll
 > > > cover probably 99% of the GCC developers.

That might be workable.  But IMHO, this list should be the same as the
"primary evaluation platforms", so perhaps you add irix6 and hpux?? to
the list.

 > > That will break every time glibc changes in a way that causes warnings.
 > >
 > > e.g., the "macro strcmp used without args" ones aren't reasonably fixable;
 > > when glibc 2.2 changed the iconv prototype, that caused warnings; glibc
 > > 2.2.1 causes the "ISO C99 requires rest arguments to be used" warnings
 > > every place printf is used with just one argument.
 >
 > ... so perhaps we should try to avoid having glibc change like that?

;-)

 > Or perhaps the macro expander should track which macros are defined in
 > system headers and not produce warnings for them?

That's a worthwhile project IMHO, even outside this context.  See:

Kaveh R. Ghazi			Engagement Manager / Project Services
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		Qwest Internet Solutions