Re: "introduce no new bootstrap warning" criteria. was: Loop iv debugging, patch

> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 07:33:46 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu>
> Cc: aj@suse.de, dewar@gnat.com, dkorn@pixelpower.com, gcc@gcc.gnu.org,
>         jsm28@cam.ac.uk, robertlipe@usa.net
>

>  > From: Geoff Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>
>  >
>  > > From: "Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu>
>  > >
>  > > I looked into what it would take to turn on -Werror and/or
>  > > -pedatic-errors and that doesn't seem possible.  There are too many
>  > > unfixable messages requiring a pragma silencer and also many warnings
>  > > only appear on unusual platforms so we'd have a real hard time getting
>  > > this to work without breaking bootstrap on lots of systems.  Plus any
>  > > time a new warning is added to -Wall, it would break systems until
>  > > completely silenced also.
>  >
>  > Why do we have unfixable warnings in -Wall?  They're not supposed
>  > to be there.
>
> Recall that if we activate -Werror, we must have zero warnings on all
> platforms, even old strange broken ones.

Perhaps we could only define -Werror on non-strange-broken platforms?

You know, like Linux, Solaris, Cygwin, AIX.  If you do those, you'll
cover probably 99% of the GCC developers.

> * On solaris, the system header definition of __GTHREAD_ONCE_INIT
> causes missing initializer warnings.  Generically, any warning caused
> by a macro defined in system headers but used in user code is trouble.
> Checking in_system_header doesn't work for these.

Fixincludes!  Fixincludes!  :-)

Actually, this is not unreasonable.  It's just as annoying for the
user to see these messages as it is for GCC.  They probably should be
fixed in fixincludes.

> * On systems where %p isn't supported, the backup method for printing
> pointers using appropriate sized integer specifiers always causes
> -Wformat warnings.  I don't think this one has a solution.

Ugh.  The warnings are actually accurate, so you don't want to just
remove them.  I guess these count as strange broken platforms.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>