Re: -std's (was Re: v3 link failures analyzed)

"Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> writes:

| On 10 Jan 2001, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
|
| > Hmm, I'm having some trouble to understand why the short for the
| > defaulted ISO standard should read '-ansi'.  Could you elaborate
| > please?
|
| -ansi is (for C) an obsolete option that exists only for backwards
| compatibility.  Standards should be selected with -std only in new code.
| For completeness, there should be -std=traditional or similar (equivalent
| to -traditional) and the C++ compiler should also start to use -std (even
| in the absence of supported old standard versions).

Thanks.  Now I understand the motivation.  But I still think that
there should be an alias for the most recent standard in effect
(and understood by the compiler).

| Note: there are *many* places in specs in the config directory that check
| for -ansi, not for other -std options.  These really ought to be fixed
| before -std can be recommended as an all-purpose substitute for -ansi.

Completely agreed.

-- Gaby
CodeSourcery, LLC                       http://www.codesourcery.com