Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN

Hi!

Mark> We've learned that the usage of GCC on U/WIN involves a violation of
Mark> the GNU GPL, linking GCC with a non-free third-party support library;
Mark> therefore, we have removed the support for such usage.

Mark> Note that GCC is merely a special case: it is a violation of the GPL
Mark> to link *any* GPL'd program with the U/WIN support library.

Sorry, but shouldn't it be the other way around?

Of what I understand of GPL, it's ok to link a GPL program with ANY
library.  If that would be true, you could not link a GPL program with
any commercial toolkit and there is clearly many such programs around!

It's only when you do it the other way around the GPL comes into
affect;

If you have a commercial program and link with a GPL library, then
it's a violation of the GPL if the commercial program is not GPL.

I am very interested in your reasoning about this;  Any change you can
point me out to the information/person on which you base your
statement?

Regards,
Monty
MySQL Moderator