Re: Mercury front-end

On 02-Jan-2001, Jeffrey A Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:

> It might be appropriate.  However the first thing that needs to be settled
> is the copyright status of the changes (of both your changes and the
> existing Mercury code).

The existing Mercury code is GPL'd / LGPL'd.  We also use the Boehm
(et al) GC, which has a BSD-style license (without the advertising
clause).

The C side of my changes are a derivative work of Tim Josling's `toy'
GCC front-end.  The Mercury side of my changes are in a few parts a
derivative work based on existing code in the Mercury compiler.

The new part of my changes are copyright by me, I believe.
I would be happy to sign the rights over to the FSF.

My employer (The University of Melbourne) might perhaps have some
claim on them.  I will probably be able to persuade them to sign a
form either disclaiming ownership or assigning the rights to the FSF,
for the C side of the changes.  For the Mercury side, and the existing
Mercury compiler, that won't happen, since we (the Mercury group here)
want the freedom to release the Mercury distribution under different
licenses in future.  But some kind of joint ownership might be
acceptable, if that is possible.

Where can I obtain the appropriate forms?

P.S. For completeness, here's an extract from the README file in the
Mercury distribution, which states the license conditions for the
relevant parts of the Mercury distribution (I've omitted the license
conditions for the example Mercury programs that we distribute,
since that would be just "mere aggregation").