Re: Trigraph warnings when compiling linux-2.4.0-prerelease1

Per Bothner wrote:

> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> >        -Wtrigraphs
> >               Warn if any trigraphs are encountered (assuming they are enabled).

> I read "assuming they are enabled" is a very poor way of saying "warn about
> constructs that would be read as trigraphs if trigraphs were enabled."

Note how much of the actual meaning of the sentence is elided by the
formulation in the documentation - these sort of sentences are hard to
read and easy to misunderstand for non-native speakers, e.g. "are
encountered" vs. "would be read as".  In fact, I read it exactly the
same way Linus did (once I managed to wrap my head around the notion of
"trigraphs" :-( )

[ Use Fortran 77 - only 48 legal characters :-)]