Re: libsupc++

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 04:09:37PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 07:07:38PM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:
> >     1)  Programs which don't use the standard library shouldn't necessarily
> >     be forced to link against libstdc++.  If it's a static link, the binary
> >     is *huge*.  libsupc++ supports the core language itself and is small.
>
> Static linking does not bring in a whole library, only those .o's inside
> it that resolve symbol references.

I never said otherwise.  :-)  I only said that the resulting binary is
quite large.  Even very small programs (under sparc-solaris, at least)
using tiny pieces of the library become gigantic when linked against
libstdc++.a (and dynamically linked against all other libraries, like libc).

They also coredump right now, but that's another matter...