Re: INQUIRY: Inconsistent gcc compile failures

Thanks for the help, this FAQ pointed out a couple of key hardware issues
that I should look at. I've long suspected the memory was at fault, but
this helps me to possibly fix the issue in a couple of ways without
replacing memory. Additionally, the FAQ informs of intermittant problems
with Cyrix 6x86 processors, which may be another possible issue.

One last question related to this, I've done a few compiles today as I am
installing a new version of the O/S (Mandrake Linux 7.2), I've found that
with a few code modules that a compile will fail several times in a row on
the same piece, and then I can eventually smash my way through on the third
or fourth attempt. The make might fail somewhere else in the build (same
reason), but usually does fine. However, if I pull "make" into "gdb" and
type "run", it always works fine. Might this symptom indicate better where
the problem might be?

Fred

Joe Buck <jbuck@racerx.synopsys.com> on 12/21/2000 02:35:51 PM