Re: INQUIRY: Inconsistent gcc compile failures

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 02:19:00PM -0500, fhirsch@tse.com wrote:
> Errors do not
> always occur in the same module of code. Sometimes the code element will
> compile fine, and fail on a subsequent element. Eventually the code will
> compile all the way through in most cases.
>
> Enclosed is a sample report of the error (received when compiling Perl DBD
> mysql module). I believe I had one of these in gdb once, but no backtrace
> was actually available. gdb reported a normal exit state.
>
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

This is almost always a sign of hardware failure.  There is no source of
randomness in the compiler itself that would sometimes create good code and
sometimes fail when given the same input.  I suspect your RAM is going bad.

Somebody has a really good webpage somewhere about this, but I don't
recall where.

Phil