Re: C++ and useful error messages

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 12:05:32PM -0000, pmscott wrote:

> Much better: any chance of losing the wordy reported only once... bit?
>
> How about changing:
>
> emsg2.C:2: `vector' undeclared (first use this function)
> emsg2.C:2: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
> function it appears in.)
>
> to:
>
> emsg2.C:2: `vector' undeclared (will not report it again for this
> function)

As a student, "first use this function" caused me no end of confusion.

The word 'use' is meant as a noun, pronounced in English with an 's' as in
"this is the first usage in this function of this type/variable/whatever".

I and fellow classmates were reading "use" as a verb, pronounced in English
with a 'z' sound, as in "first employ [make use of] this function," and
we were always muttering, "first use /what/ function?"

If you want to change anything, I would recommend one of

  emsg2.C:2: `vector' undeclared (first use in this function)
  emsg2.C:2: `vector' undeclared (first occurrence in this function)

Phil