Re: slow V3 configures (was Re: ICE during bootstrap.)

Hi,

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> phil perhaps you could be persuaded to revisit this problem, since it
> appears you've looked at it closely.
>
> testing a limited subset of functions is something I'm not interested in
> exploring: historically, this type of change has been a disaster.
> Following phil's advice and changing to
>
>    test-for-cached-answer-oh-it's-there-never-mind
>    else
>      push-current-language-on-stack
>      set-current-language-to-C++
>      test and cache
>      pop-language-from-stack
>    end
>
> seems like the best approach.

If it's really a problem, we can also cache groups of test in one
cache, like
  is-math-stuff-cached
    eval cached-setting-of-all-math-stuff
  else
    foreach math-test a
      test-for-cached-answer-a-oh-it's-there-never-mind
      else
      end
      update-cached-setting-of-all-math-stuff
    endfor