Re: slow V3 configures (was Re: ICE during bootstrap.)

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 01:11:42PM -0600, Robert Lipe wrote:

> If the cache hits were as quick as they are elsewhere in the GCC build
> process, they wouldn't stand out.

It's not the caching that's the problem; check my mail again.

The typical cached test, both in v3 and elsewhere, is basically

    test-for-cached-answer-oh-it's-there-never-mind-then

In the math tests, it's

    push-current-language-on-stack
    set-current-language-to-C++
    test-for-cached-answer-oh-it's-there-never-mind-then
    pop-language-from-stack

Those LANG_SAVE and LANG_RESTORE are what contribute the extra
three-quarters of a banana.  :-)

> Perhaps I'm oversensitized becuase I've been chasing problems in the
> v3 configure/build process and have thus had to sit through this
> many-minute process more times than I feel I've deserved to. :-)

You can imagine what it was like before we cached the answers.  Even a
caffeine addict like me was falling asleep.  (I find that a config.cache,
primed with just the math test results, and moved into the builddir/target
subdirectory between configuring and making, speeds up quick test builds
by a lot.  Every so often, of course, you want to do it fresh and get a
new config.cache to work with.)