Re: libstdc-v3: portability of 'ar' w/o file list?

On Dec  5, 2000, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Why not have libtool create a non-empty archive, containing a dummy .o
> with no external symbols?

Damn!  I keep forgetting this option :-)

Yes, it would certainly work.  I think someone has recently
volunteered to implement this, in one of the libtool mailing lists,
but I'm not 100% sure this was the issue at hand.

I'm afraid I don't have time to pursue this issue myself, but I'd be
glad to give pointers and lend a hand to whoever volunteers to take
care of that.  Please make sure to announce your intentions here *and*
in libtool@gnu.org, to save duplicate efforts.

> Or just notice that there are no files, and not create the archive
> at all -- and then have libtool notice when linking in a .la that
> the corresponding .a is a dummy, and not feed it to the linker?

That's reasonable too, but it would break one of the premises of
libtool which is that you don't need libtool to link in libtool
libraries.  This isn't always true already, but the farther we set
apart from this aim, the worse it gets.