Re: Mistaken change in GCC (fwd)

<<A built in "monitor" or "semaphore" type, since in designing OSes
it would be nice for the developer to rely on the compiler to
implement mutual exclusion somehow on a semaphore type
without worrying how it is implemented. I have no idea if this is
possible, Andrew Tanenbaum (Minix) seems to believe it is.

I think this is a bad idea, synchronization is not a simple matter ()consider
for example the critical problem of priority inversion, and the possibility
of solving this with deiling priority protocols or priority inheritance.

Programs needing this kind of capability either need to use languages
with a full fledged notion of concurrency (Ada, Java), or to use
appropriate facilities, like posix threads.