Re: compiling libio under glibc-2.2

> Debian unstable has upgraded to glic-2.2 and now libio doesn't
> compile.  (I'm blaming glibc right now... )

Yes, sigh.  For similar reasons 2.95.2 won't build on a Red Hat 7 box.

The glibc people don't tell us (the gcc people) about their plans or
consult with us about timing, they just do what they think best and leave
us to scramble.

> Anybody else seen this?  Is there a fix?

Yes, there's a patch.  The SC is discussing putting out a 2.95.2.1
with only the required patch for this problem (vs. 2.95.3 that also
would contain other fixes, but that would require a much bigger testing
effort).

Jakub Jelinek advises using this patch:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-11/msg00157.html

though I have not personally verified it.

Debian folks should be aware that there will be some kind of official fix
for this issue soon, but I suppose you could try a patch like this in
woody as a temporary measure (there is a saying that there is nothing so
permanent as a temporary fix).