Re: Gcc and message catalogs

* Geoff Keating (geoffk@geoffk.org) [20001114 19:20]:

> gcc is supposed to pass the full environment.  It uses execv() to call
> the subprocess.
>
> The easiest way to check that I can think of is to replace cc1 with a shell
> script that just does 'echo $LANG'.

I did that and also additionally called locale from that script. And indeed
the environment is passed on completely.

Just to recap:

   - If cc1 is called directly, it will display translated messages
   - if called via gcc, it will display the english original, i.e.
     no translation will be done.

I guess I'll have to check with gdb what is happening here :( I can only
guess that the other possible cause would be somewhere inside glibc (but
this is only a very vague guess).

Philipp

--
Penguins shall save the dinosaurs