Re: zack's todo list

  * GC performance
    - Get strings out of the GC arena.  (patch submitted)
    - Get Laurnyas and Alexandre's patch to make ggc-page usable without
      mmap applied, so we can throw away ggc-simple.
    - Split arena into separate tree, RTL, misc pools.
    - Dual mark bits for trees; avoids millions of calls to ggc_set_mark.
      (Requires separate pools.)
    - Look into not rounding all allocations up to powers of two.
      (Saves large amount of memory.)
    - Better GC statistics.

These are all good things.  We want to go to a generational collector,
methinks, and I think I know how -- it's actually not a major change
once trees and rtl are in their own pools.

  * Junk allocations
    - Make __FUNCTION__ et al allocate the string only when used.
      (Avoids pointless allocation of strings and decl structures for
      every function.  May mean we don't need prune_unused_decls
      anymore.)
    - Lazy make_decl_rtl - avoid allocating symbol_ref RTLs when they
      won't ever be used.
    - Don't create a complete IDENTIFIER_NODE for DECL_ASSEMBLER_NAME.

Likewise, these are good -- but may not be required for 3.0.  I don't
see these as necessary; the GC work may be in order to get back lost
compile-time performance.

  * Makefile cleanups
    - Run mklibgcc at configure time and merge output into the big
      Makefile
    - Compile libiberty for build, get rid of private copies of several
      libiberty files (Kaveh has patch already?)
    - Do installation in separate shell script?

Probably not necessary for 3.0 -- but probably not risky either.

  * Misc
    - Templatized hashtab.c (avoids abstraction overhead, minor speed
      win)
    - Update cpp.texi

Likewise.