Re: V3: SPARC bug and tree freeze

On Nov 12, 2000, dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote:

> As for "who will provide the machines", I will immediately make a
> commitment that if something like this is set up, ACT will contribute
> a top of the line PC for the task

I think we can get enough machines from companies involved in
supporting GCC.  Red Hat has already kind-of contributed the machine
that runs the regression tester, and I believe other companies may
also want to get into the loop.

I doesn't seem important to me to have these machines in a single
location.  In fact, having them spread over the world (or at least
over the U.S.) is probably a good thing.  So we shouldn't need to
worry about a single company taking over the whole patch validation
process.  If each company manages each machine in-house, we don't even
have to worry about connectivity costs: that's up to the contributor
of the machine to work out.

In fact, if we're lucky, we may even get contributions from hardware
suppliers of machines with various different architectures, so that
GCC can be automatically tested on them.