Re: [discuss] AMD x86-64 GCC development

    Richard, I'm confused by your statement.  AFAIR you're on the x86-64
    lists since the beginning and should have read all the discussions
    that were going on.

I'm on a half dozen lists.  I try to follow as much of what's going on
as I can, but I can't be sure I get everything correct.

This came up in a discussion today where I'd assumed that once the NDA
ended, the GCC x86-84 development had moved, but I didn't see the
corresponding messages, so I was confused.

    The gcc work for AMD x86-64 is done on a *public* CVS tree that has
    been started from the gcc.gnu.org CVS tree at the end of september and
    officially announced

Why is this not being done in the main GCC tree?

    We've created separate CVS trees for (so far) GCC, Binutils, Glibc and
    the Linux kernel.  When the x86-64 port to GNU/Linux is in a stable
    state, the CVS tree will be merged with the mainstream tree of the
    different projects (according to the rules set up by the projects),
    e.g. with GCC's tree at gcc.gnu.org with submissions to
    patches@gcc-gnu.org with proper ChangeLogs etc.

But isn't this going to be a lot more work than if the development
were done from the beginning in the main GCC tree?