Re: config.sub pentium2 and pentiumii aliases (fwd)

  > How about simply calling pentium2 "pentium2"?  We could also call
  > pentium3 "pentium3", and pentiumpro "pentiumpro".  Do you get the
  > idea?  :-)

One word: Trademarks :-)

  > Some packages might want to make a distinction between exact CPU
  > types.  GMP is one such package, where there has a very significant
  > speed advantage,

tbh, I don't think it's config.guess/config.sub's job to figure this out -
I think there should be specific autoconf tests for specific CPU
type. Splitting the ix86 family of chips up for generic configury always
seemed to be a bizarre idea, as the majority applications treat i[34567]86
as a single type of CPU.

But, as this wasn't done in the first place, I doubt it will happen any
time soon, so I'll shut up ;)

--
Mo McKinlay
mmckinlay@gnu.org