Re: duplicate symbols on HP-PA

  In message <200011021945.OAA25772@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>you write:
  > > It says (among lots of details)
  > > WARNING:  LIBRARY <thelibrary.a> HAS OVERFLOW SYMBOLS; USE CLEANRL
  >
  > I have seen the message but don't know what it means.  It is not mentioned
  > in the HP lrom documentation.
I've seen it too, but never knew the reason why.  Presumably there's something
hokey in the SOM archive library support, but I have no idea what it is.  This
hasn't ever seemed to cause problems so I haven't ever spent the time to
investigate it.

  > Weak symbols are implemented on the HP using what HP calls secondary
  > definitions (sdef).  The only reference that I can find to these symbols
  > is in the nm man page.
Correct.  There's a few mentions of them in the SOM ABI, but not a lot of
details.

jeff