Re: Why not gnat Ada in gcc?

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

> <<And that's precisely the procedure you would use if you did a merge from
> the external (potentially unstable) tree into your internal tree.  Those
> tests will likely find problems, you would fix them and submit the fixes
> to the net sources.
> >>

> But it is VERY rare for regressions to occur on nightly runs, I would
> say that 90% of the time the nightly builds are completely clean and
> run the entire regression suites completely. I cannot believe that
> this is true of the current gcc open tree (unless the test suites
> are very weak indeed).

According to the regression tester, since inception about 50% of the
test runs (it's continuous, so a test run happens about every three
hours if the flow of patches is sufficiently constant) were full
passes, that is the result was as good as the best previous result.
We seem to be doing marginally better recently, but more 60% not 90%.
This is for one target, other targets probably do worse.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>