Re: Why not gnat Ada in gcc?

Robert Dewar wrote:

> At least one large company had access to the GDB 5 development very
> early on, long before it was made available to others, that's how I
> know about it :-)

I'm not quite sure who you're referring to here... We certainly
talked about GDB 5 development ideas to quite a few companies, in
an effort to secure funding for it; I first proposed some of the
ideas in 1995, but the work didn't start until 1998 or so, when
we deliberately carved out some internal funding instead of waiting
forever.  Even after we started, we were still waving around early
versions to possible funders, but the time period for that would have
been short, since the big announcement of the work happened in May 1999.

So the better way to characterize it would be that while we were sure
that prospective customers would be interested, we didn't think that
the net community had anything to add, and so we didn't say
anything publicly.  That was a mistake though.

Stan