Re: Debug formats on Linux

> It has also been mentioned, though I can't find the relevant messages
> right now, that DWARF2 debugging info would allow debugging to work with
> -fomit-frame-pointer on systems where it presently doesn't.  If this is
> the case, and if GDB has or gets the support for this, that would seem a
> reason to change (and -fomit-frame-pointer could then be turned on at -O
> or -O2 for such systems if beneficial, e.g. x86-linux).

I look at the issue during late 1998 and was told that GDB didn't
currently support using DWARF2 for this.  I contributed GDB patches
to support debugging x86 functions where the frame pointer had been
eliminated which worked by parsing the prologue in January of 1999.
Unfortunately the patches never really got reviewed due to the GDB
people being busy with other things.  I was told in March of 2000
(which was the last time I checked on its status) that a more powerful
approach was in the works.

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |