gcc 2.95.2 -fPIC on HP-UX 11-> ld: Data Linkage Table (+z) overflow in file [...] - use +Z option to recompile

ld: Data Linkage Table (+z) overflow in file [...] - use +Z option to
recompile

I get this message, when I try to compile shared versions of PerlQT 2.x and
Python 2.0 on HP-UX 11.
It seems to occur, when an object file contains many symbols.
The object files were compiled with option -fPIC never had this problem
before.

There seem to be two ways to generate shared libraries with the standard
C-compiler aCC on HP-UX to generate shared libraries: +z and +Z.

excerpt from the man page:

      +z,+Z          Cause the compiler to generate position independent
                     code (PIC) for use in building shared libraries.  The
                     option -G is ignored if used when generating PIC.  When
                     certain limits are exceeded, +Z is required to generate

                                    - 6 -

 aCC(1)                                                               aCC(1)
                  Requires Optional aC++ Compiler Software

                     PIC.  The linker ld(1) issues the error indicating when
                     +Z is required.  If both +z and +Z are specified, only
                     the last one encountered applies.  For a more complete
                     discussion regarding PIC and these options, see the
                     manual Programming on HP-UX.

So it seems to me, that gcc imitates +z. How do I tell gcc to produce the
code, that is equivalent to option +Z.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry that I didn't search the mailing list archive for that, but the
searchable archive doesn't seem to be searchable at the moment.

Regards,

Lars