Re: HP-PA ABI issues - framepointer handling

Alex Hornby writes:

 >Robert Dewar writes:
 > > I do not see that it is easy to do proper stack unwinding in mixed gcc
 > > and non-gcc code without depending on the "lame unwinder". Note that
 > > as far as we know, g++ on HPUX is using longjmp/setjump for exception
 > > management -- is that understanding correct?
 > >
 > > It has always been a strength of gcc that for the most part it obeys
 > > system standards and in particular published ABI's. I think this same
 > > standard should be followed for HPUX unless there is a very good reason
 > > not to do so.
 >
 >Is this the cause of the g++ problems with exceptions thrown from
 >shared libraries on HP-UX?

I can't comment from an HP-UX standpoint, but from MPE's perspective,
the problem for us is that the setjmp/sigsetjmp/longjmp code for some
inexplicable reason, does not preserve SR4 and each shared library
on MPE is loaded into its own space. I've written a setjmp workalike
for MPE that preserves SR4 and thus makes exceptions across libraries
work. I can make this available to you if you want to try to hack it
for HP-UX.

Regards,

M.
--
Mark Klein                                    DIS International, Ltd.
http://www.dis.com                            415-892-8400