Re: Using of parse tree externally

<<I, like most of the people in this discussion, am not a lawyer, so take
this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that "derivative work"
is a legal term defined by copyright law.  Either such output is a
derivative work or not; what the license says is irrelevant to that
classification.  If it is a derivative work, it potentially falls under
the license, but if it's not a derivative work under copyright law,
nothing that the license says can make it one.

Indeed this is the case, and the suggestion of trying to write the
license to extend the notion of deriviative work would seem to me
to be misuse of copyright (in the technical legal sense of the term).