Re: Using of parse tree externally

Richard Kenner wrote:

>     I'm sure the GCC license could be modified in such a way to say, in
>     effect, "In addition to re-use of GCC source code, any code which
>     utilizes, in any way, any intermediate output of the compiler, such as
>     the parse tree or RTL, or any code which links against sections of
>     GCC, shall fall under the GPL".
>
> What is your legal basis that such a clause would be enforeable?

None, most likely.  I regret posting the above paragraph.

At the same time, it was rather good example of how taking an
ideologically absolute position can lead to an exactly opposite end, as
illustrated by Linus' posts on the issue.

My apologies for getting my dumb self involved in such a charged issue,
and many thanks for the enlightenment.
--
George T. Talbot
<george at moberg dot com>