3.0 release criteria and g++ compilation performance

Hi, I was glad to see that part of the release criteria is the
compile-time performance. However I noticed that the benchmark you were
using is emacs. Is this particularly heavy in template usage in C++ ?

Recent CVS are incredibly slow compiling parts of CVS lyx[1] (www.lyx.org)
particularly buffer.C. After two hours with this file on my lowly
Pentium 200 40Mb mem, I gave up. 2.95.2 performance here is around
5-10 minutes. Turning off "-O" helped not much.

Would it be possible to add template-heavy code to this test ? Otherwise
3.0 will not be usable on my machine for C++ :/

thanks
john

[1] you may need to turn off -pedantic option to compile this

--
"Do you mean to tell me that "The Prince" is not the set textbook for
CS1072 Professional Issues ? What on earth do you learn in that course ?"